Our Children...Their Choice...

We were all born with an innate desire to become...something.  From childhood we have been asked "what do you want to be when you grow up" from our parents to our grandparents to our relatives and friends.  It is one of the first questions we hear when we start attending school and seems to create the most pressure as we grow older.  For centuries it has been implied that we become what our parents have envisioned us to be...but as I grow in wisdom and grace...it is not about..."us."  Our children have that desire to be something from the very beginning and if we just sit back and allow those "talents and skills" to develop, we may find that they begin to work towards that desire...all by themselves.  Of course we need to encourage and of course we need let them know we are interested and of course we need to invite questions about their "career" choice but do we need to change or alter them just because they do not meet "our" expectation of what we want our children to do? No.

I remember growing up and thinking about what I wanted to be when I grew up.  My first choice was a doctor...then it changed to professional singer...then accountant.  Needless to say, I became an Accountant who teaches voice and is now an author/playwright...go figure but believe me...I am satisfied and happy with my choices.  I had no idea that I would teach voice and teach acting, write plays, direct and now author a book.  It was nowhere in my forecast.  Boy am I glad my parents did not force their expectations on me.  Am I glad they allowed me to become what I was happy and comfortable with.  Now, they did tell me "you will do something young lady with your life", and that I did.  But they did not force me to do something I had no desire to do.  THANK GOD!

So as you send your children off to school again with high expectations, expect them to make the right choices when it comes to picking friends and choosing their career path.  Know, however, that their career choice may change like the wind until they really know what they want to do...and try not to be too upset if it does..just allow them to grow and to learn and feel what it is...they think they can do...what it is they have a deep desire to do...what it is...they want to do and support them in that.  Sometimes it shows in their school work just what strengths they have and sometimes...in their leisure time....but whenever it shows up...nurture that.  That my friends is the very best we as parents can do..give support and show lots and lots of love for in the end...they will have to be the ones living with their career choice...not you.  Until next time...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I Do?

Giving Thanks for Being Thankful...

A Time to Turn