I Remember

I remember when my mom taught me to say "yes sir" and "yes ma'am" because it was...the right and polite thing to do.  I remember when I would get spankings for doing the wrong thing because it was...the right thing to do.  I remember when I was made to stay up late at night to get my homework done because I messed around all afternoon because it was...the right thing to do.  I remember when I had to pull my pants up and my skirts down because it was...the right thing to do.

I remember when we had company that I had to make my bed and clean my room along with the household chores because it was...the right thing to do.  I remember when I had to be quiet while sitting in church because it was the...right thing to do.  I remember when I could not have any dessert because I would not eat my vegetables because it was...the right thing to do.  I remember when I would play outside all day I had to wash my hands when I came in the house because it was...the right thing to do.

I remember when a child was seen and not heard when my parents were talking because it was...the right thing to do.  I remember I had to wait to use the telephone after my parents were through with it because it was...the right thing to do.  I remember not being allowed to go play outside because I had been rebellious and disrespectful to my parents because it was..the right thing to do.  I remember having my first boy company and mom telling them at the appropriate time they had to go home because it was...the right thing to do.

I remember these things because they instilled in me values and ethics that made me who I am today.  We should all take the time to remember those things that helped shape us into intelligent, respectful hard working human beings and while doing that...remember all those who gave up the "good" things in life to sacrifice for our country and to help us all live safe because to them it was the...right thing to do.

To all of the servicemen and women...to those who served and those who died serving..to those who gave their lives so that we may live ours...I remember.  Happy Memorial Day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I Do?

Giving Thanks for Being Thankful...

A Time to Turn